February is Responsible Pet Parents month. Please make sure your pets are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, healthy and happy! Here are my best tips:
• Avoid quick decisions- choose the pet that fits your family and lifestyle.
• Keep only the number of pets you can really care for well.
• Understand a pet is for life and needs your time and resources to have a good long life.
• Provide fresh and nutritious food, clean water and proper shelter.
• Provide adequate socialization and training – all dogs need both!
• Provide enrichment, stimulation and exercise, both mental and physical.
• Be sure your pet gets its vaccinations and care for illness or injury and preventatives for fleas, ticks and heartworm.
• Don’t let your pet stray or roam.
• Make sure your pet has ID (tags, microchipping, etc.).
• Follow all local ordinances including licensing and leash laws and clean up after your pet.
• Limit your pet’s reproduction by spay/neuter.
• Be sure to have a disaster and evacuation plan for your pet and plans if you become unable to care for her/him.
• Prepare in advance for your pet to be able to die with dignity.